Safety Certificates


The department of main roads and transport website offers information on when a Queensland safety certificate is needed and lists the following:

  • a registered light vehicle is offered for sale in Queensland, or

  • transferring registration to a new owner, or

  • when transferring to Queensland registration from another state or territory, or

  • when re-registering an unregistered vehicle.


Vehicles requiring a safety certificate are:

  • cars

  • motorcycles

  • trailers (including caravans) with an aggregate trailer mass (ATM) between 750kg and 3,500kg

  • any other vehicles up to 4,500kg gross vehicle mass (GVM).


This inspection covers the basic vehicle safety standards for many components including:

  • tyres

  • brakes

  • steering

  • suspension

  • body rust or damage

  • windscreen

  • lights.


The Vehicle Inspection Guidelines explain how a safety certificate inspection is performed and the reasons a vehicle may fail an inspection.

The Queensland Department of Main Roads & Transport also advises that A safety certificate inspection is not a comprehensive mechanical inspection on the quality, or life  expectancy of a vehicle. The website urges you to consider that If you are buying a used vehicle, you should contact a motoring group such as RACQ for a full mechanical inspection.


While we agree entirely with this advice, we would suggest that booking with your local AutoKeepers is also a good idea, we offer full automotive consultations, advice and services Including a broad range of Free inspections and services that may prove invaluable – when compared to buying the wrong car for you.

Just Call 1800KEEPERS

And let us know how we can help.

Book Now
Roadworthy Checks Auto Keepers